Dying revisited

by - December 29, 2015

Back in December of last year, I crochet Mei a new dress. The dress has been completed in the beginning of this year,  and it was time to give it more life to it. I quickly whipped up a nice choker to go with her dress. During March, I decided to dye the dressing using good old turmeric for a nice bright yellow.


Normally I would boil the vinegar in a small pot, I find it easier and less time consuming using a microwavable container for smaller items such as doll clothing. All I have to do is pop it in the microwave for 40 sec, and let the outfit it in the vinegar for 5 minutes for it to absorb.


So it went over the 5 min mark, can't work on an empty stomach. I add a pinch or two of turmeric into the vinegar. Those who are interested in natural dyes, turmeric produces a nice canary yellow color. Longer you let it sit in the dye, the brighter it gets.  This outfit I wanted a mellow yellow instead of a bright yellow.


It's a bit bright right now. Once I give it a rinse with cold water (not hot!) it will mellow out. I want it to sit for a little bit for the dye to do its thing before rinsing it off. After a minute or to two of, I gently rinsed it with cool water. Warm water will fad the color. That being been said and done, pat dry between two junky towels, and let it air dry flat, or you can use iron to speed the process up and set the color all at once. I didn't this time around.

Next day I set the color using the iron. Phew! The long part is done. Fun part is embellishing it with pretty glass beads. I already sewn a white glass pearl in the back for a button. Still debating if I should add another one or not. 



Mei's dress is done. I added pastel beads to her choker, and did a beaded flower on the front part of her straps. Of course those aren't shown in the photo below. And yes that is the same necklace from her other outfit. Versatile don't you think?

You May Also Like

0 comments